Sunday, July 13, 2008

Change Yourself, Change the World

The following words were written on the tomb of an Anglican Bishop in the Crypts of Westminster Abbey. I picked them especially because it talks about change, and changing ourselves, knowing that change should begin with us.

“When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change. So I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country. But it, too, seemed immovable. As I grew into my twilight years, on one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me. But, alas, they would have none of it. And now, as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: if I had only CHANGED myself first, then by example, I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I might have even changed the world.”


I realize this as well.
The world is TOO complex, as a whole. But individually... well its still complex. We're constantly changing. Every second, every breath we take, we change.

Revolutions happen with the collective force of each individuals beliefs. It takes one person to spark up a thought that could inspire people to band together and do something... but its keeping the people banded together that's the problem.


I feel so caught up sometimes in trying to do something to change the world; something i have no control over.
Instead I should be focusing on changing myself first, or rather learn to accept my place, accept the WACKNESS around me and embrace it. Without it, I wouldn't have anything to contemplate about.

All i can say for now is, I Cannot Change the world, but I can Change your View of it.

Peace

No comments: